This position contributes to Sanctuary success by assisting in directing the financial activities of the resort, safeguard assets, and prepare all financial reports in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Serve as financial advisor to resort management and ownership.
Note: the following duties and responsibilities are not all-inclusive
- Support the Director of Finance in directing budget and cost controls, performing financial analysis and accounting procedures.
- Coordinate, manage and prepare monthly financial statement process.
- Prepare monthly account reconciliations for all balance sheet accounts.
- Prepare budget forms for ownership and assist DOF in the completion of budget packages.
- Directly supervise Accounting staff and carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with organization policies and applicable law.
- Prepare and process biweekly payroll; review bi-weekly payroll reports
- Monitor assigned payroll activities and/or program components for the purpose of ensuring effective department functioning.
- Inform personnel/carriers/financial institutions regarding required documentation and/or procedures for the purpose of conveying information necessary to complete transactions.
- Communicate with a variety of internal and external parties (city/state/federal agencies, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring accurate processing of payroll deductions/garnishments.
- Balance all hours and gratuities with Timesaver/PMS/POS system generated reports.
- Coordinate payroll processing with ADP
- Process all time off requests and time/pay adjustments.
- Process and balance all miscellaneous payroll earning and deductions.
- Balance gratuities and commissions monthly to the General Ledger
- Prepare and audit all information for payroll checks including checks for involuntary terminations and adjustment checks.
- In collaboration with Human Resources, ensure and maintain accurate rates of pay in ADP.
- Periodically audit rates of pay to ensure continuity.
- Process and respond, when appropriate, to all Garnishments and Liens.
- Meet with department management periodically to audit individual employee files.
- Ensure accurate vacation and PTO pay accruals using ADP reporting and personnel files.
- Contact vendors when necessary for the creation of new G/L, deduction or earnings codes.
- Develop and maintain staffing guides for all job codes.
- Verify and audit that all hourly schedules are input.
- Produce an accurate Daily/MTD labor report for all job codes, including salaried employees.
- Prepare and post bi-weekly payroll journal entries by the end of each pay week.
- The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Ability to maintain a pleasant disposition and work smoothly in high stress work environment.
- Solid and effective interpersonal skills and positive attitude.
- Knowledge of accounting operations.
- Must have excellent telephone etiquette.
- Excellent professional communication skills required.
- Intermediate mathematical skills.
- Ability to listen effectively and to speak and write English clearly.
- Ability to effectively deal with guest and employee concerns in a friendly and positive manner. This involves listening to the nature of the concern, demonstrating empathy with the person and providing positive and proactive solutions.
- Exceptional multi-tasking skills. Also, an individual who is highly detail oriented.
- At all times maintain the highest standards of professionalism, ethics, and a positive attitude towards all resort guests and fellow co-workers.
- Attend all meetings and training as scheduled by department manager.
- Prepare 401K and HSA data in conjunction with HR team for bi weekly payroll submission
- Effectively resolve staff workplace issues through problem resolution.
- Coach and counsel accounting staff when appropriate, providing continued staff development.
- Maintain accurate and up- to- date balance sheet reconciliations which will result in a successful year-end audit review from our outside auditors.
- Develop policy and procedure manuals for accounting department.
- File monthly Arizona Department of Revenue sales tax returns.
- Complete annual 8027 tax return.
- Take the initiative to make contributions to the department and resort while maintaining positive working relationships with co-workers.
- Maintain good safety habits and report unsafe or hazardous conditions to Security.
- Ability to sit at a desk for long periods of time to perform essential job functions.
- Knowledge of business law, federal, state and local taxes. Also, Department of Labor regulations.
- Must maintain highest ethical standards – possessing integrity, honesty, care and fair mindedness.
- Ability to access and accurately input information using a computer.
- Maintain a high level of work quality and quantity per resort standards.
High School Diploma/G.E.D. Equivalent
Four-year bachelors’ degree in Accounting, Business, Hospitality or related fields.
Related Work Experience
Four to six years of relevant experience preferred.
Expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel. Familiar with P.M.S. and P.O.S. operations. Knowledge of Opera, Micros 3700, Microsoft Exchange, and various Microsoft operating systems is highly recommended.