Director of Security
JOB FUNCTIONS ________
Note: the following duties and responsibilities are not all-inclusive
· Responsible for the daily operations of the Security department.
· Identifies and makes recommendations for minimizing physical hazards and unsafe work practices.
· Assists in the development and implementation of emergency procedures and safety program.
· Chair of the Safety Committee: responsible for monthly meetings, and resort wide communications.
· Ensures and enforces compliance with all safety and security management guidelines and procedures.
· Ensures periodic patrols of entire resort and parking areas.
· Maintains required reports and documentation.
· Deploys and instructs security staff to effectively monitor and protect resort assets.
· Effectively schedule based on business demands and track employee time and attendance. Monitors and manages the payroll function.
· Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies/applicable law.
· Provides reasonable care in securing guestrooms and guestroom areas.
· Knows all cash handling procedures and makes recommendations for improved security controls.
· Conducts investigation of all losses of resort assets and refers to proper management for disposition.
· Effectively monitors and/or controls access to resort storage areas.
· Ensures Security Officers maintain required first aid and CPR certifications.
· Administers first aid, as needed, and provides means for obtaining necessary medical attention in a timely manner.
· Completes proper documentation. Reports all employee accident and general liability incidents to appropriate management staff.
· Participates in the annual department budgeting process as needed.
· Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals and or managers; continuously strives to improve service performance.
· Develops implements and maintains required OSHA programs and statistical data in accordance with state and federal standards.
· Proactively develops and implements loss reduction programs.
· Measures trends through analysis of loss data.
· Must be familiar with hotel law and local ordinances.
· Develops and maintains a working relationship with local law enforcement authorities.
· Effectively evaluates guest requests for additional security measures.
· Effectively monitors/controls access to guest areas, employee work areas and parking areas.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
· Ability to understand and follow written or verbal instructions.
· Ability to effectively communicate verbally in English with strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing) and consensus building skills
· Effective decision making and influential skills
· Strong problem-solving skills
· Ability to acquire and maintain relationships (e.g., employees, guests, vendors, etc.)
· Strong analytical and negotiation skills
· Strong organization skills
· Effective conflict management skills
· Strong customer and employee relation skills
· Effective training/facilitator skills
· Possess a valid driver’s license with a clean driving record
· Performs additional duties as requested by the Resort Manager and General Manager.
· Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift
· Ability to reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping
· Ability to move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 lbs. without assistance.
High School Diploma/G.E.D. Equivalent; Bachelor’s Degree preferred
First Aid and CPR certification
Alcohol Awareness Trainer certification preferred
Related Work Experience
Extensive experience with and knowledge of Loss Prevention operational procedures
Government regulations & safety standards (e.g., OSHA, EPA, ADA, CFC, NFPA)
Knowledge of emergency plans & safety and security guidelines
Basic legal expertise related to hotel issues
Knowledge of civil laws pertaining to hotels.
Understanding of "duty of care" principles