This position contributes to Sanctuary success by supporting the resort in monitoring, maintaining, repairing and carrying out the preventative maintenance program on the resort’s heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment as well as the kitchen and laundry equipment. This position also assists with plumbing and electrical projects.
Note: the following duties and responsibilities are not all-inclusive
- Respond to calls and complaints in a positive, polite and timely manner.
- Monitor public space temperature, making appropriate adjustments when necessary and start/stop fans as required.
- Assist in start-up, shut down, maintenance and operation of all HVAC / refrigeration equipment.
- Visually inspect gauges, dials and mechanical equipment, make basic mathematical calculations, and move and climb on all types of uneven surfaces.
- Work with refrigerants, oils, solvents and chemicals.
- Performed scheduled and non-scheduled maintenance on all heating, ventilation, air conditioning and related equipment.
- Identify and troubleshoot problems, make repairs as follows:
- Replace mechanical seals, re-pack pumps and valves, replace bearings and belts and check for proper alignment, repair fan coil units, make minor sheet metal repairs, braze and solder, calibrate controls, work on pressure vessels, replace piping and fittings; maintain appropriate records of preventative maintenance/repairs.
- Regular attendance in accordance with the standards, which may be established by the resort from time to time, is essential to the successful performance of this position. May be required to work varying shifts to reflect the business needs of the resort.
- May be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions:
- Assist with requests to shut off steam, water and gas supplies
- Assist in monitoring and maintenance of stand pipe, sprinkler and interior fire alarm systems
- Change filters on HVAC and fan coil units
- Responds to all calls, requests for repairs, and work orders in guest rooms and public and staff areas as assigned by the Chief Engineer and/or the Engineering Administrative Assistant and the service order systems.
- Completes other projects as assigned by the Director of Engineering.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Skill in the use of hand and power tools (drills, hoisting equipment, reciprocating saw and pressure washing equipment); dial indicators and testing equipment for air, water balancing and control calibration.
- Ability to lift, push/pull and grasp objects or carry supplies weighing up to 100 lbs.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders, working at height up to approximately 30 feet.
- Ability to work in extreme hot, cold and wet conditions.
- Ability to grasp and manipulate tools and materials, and have excellent finger dexterity.
- Basic mathematical skill; use of a calculator to prepare moderately complex calculations.
- Basic mechanical aptitude for operation and repair of resort equipment.
- Basic English language communication skills in order to communicate with guests and co-workers, to fully understand job assignments and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external guests, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger, to collect accurate information and offer assistance.
- Adhere to uniform, personal hygiene and appearance standards at all times.
- Maintain good safety habits and report unsafe or hazardous conditions to your manager.
- Promote excellent guest relations while living the Sanctuary Commitments.
- Maintain a high level of work quality and quantity per resort standards.
- Practice teamwork and effective communication with manager/supervisor/co-workers.
- Attend all meetings and training as scheduled by department manager.