This position contributes to the Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain success by supervising day-to-day operations of the stewarding department, responsible for total maintenance and sanitation in all food production service areas. Control storeroom orders and issue all china, silver and glass. Ensure all food and beverage outlets have sufficient equipment to perform adequately. A focus on living the Sanctuary Commitments and vision of Where Pride and Compassion Meet are critical to the success of this position as a Sanctuary community member.
Note: the following duties and responsibilities are not all-inclusive
- Effectively organize/conduct inventory of glassware (daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly basis).
- Create standards for team members who come into contact with china, silver and glass, on proper instructions of storage, use and cleaning.
- Appraise Stewarding Department associates in performance of assignments, such as recommending promotions or making other changes in their work.
- Ensure that both property and department policies are enforced; proper disciplinary action should be taken, if necessary.
- Ensure that health, fire and safety regulations are being adhered to by all associates according to local Health Department rules. Report any accidents to on-duty manager.
- Ensure that all equipment is properly handled and maintained.
- Maintain inventory controls established by department for all equipment.
- Make sure that dish-out line is set up, when required.
- Make sure that scheduled personnel are on time and working; ensure personnel take their break.
- Use cleaning chemicals according to prescribed methods. Handle, store, and label all hazardous substances safely. If any incidents occur during the handling of hazardous substances report immediately and refer to the information in the Safety Data Sheet.
- Supervision of the Stewarding Department; Deliver food to the banquet areas (buffets, receptions, dinners), assist kitchen staff in serving meals. Keep the Banquet Kitchen and dish room clean and organized per Standard Operating Procedures.
- Consult the Executive Chef for pertinent information - daily business and special functions.
- Ensure all property policies and procedures are followed, including the proper and timely delivery of food to respective banquet rooms.
- Check and control the proper storage of products such as linen equipment and cleaning agents.
- Ensure dishes are sanitized and available as needed.
- Wash dishes, glassware, flatware, pots, and/or pans using dishwashers or by hand.
- Place clean dishes, utensils, and cooking equipment in storage areas. Polish silver and copper.
- Maintain proper placement and organization of pots, pans, dish dollies, glass racks and utensils.
- Stock supplies such as food and utensils in serving stations, cupboards, refrigerators, etc.
- Sort and remove trash, placing it in designated pickup areas.
- Works diligently to avoid breakage and loss.
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Maintain updated working knowledge of all resort amenities as well as any special events.
- Interact with resort staff in a professional manner, assisting other departments when necessary.
- Attend mandatory monthly department meetings and appropriate resort and division meetings.
- Basic mathematical skills necessary to understand measurement, requisition and portion amounts as it relates to chemicals and inventory control.
- Act with responsibility towards all company property, supplies and equipment.
- Must possess accepted knowledge of standard sanitation.
- Good working knowledge of the fundamentals of catering operations required.
- Must have the ability to resolve problems/conflicts in a diplomatic and tactful manner.
- Must be able to follow instructions, both verbally and written; excellent communication skills.
- Must be professional in appearance and demeanor.
- Must be able to work in a fast paced environment and under pressure.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include evenings, weekends and holidays.
- While primarily an indoor job, must be able to work outdoors on occasion.
- Must be able to work in either hot or cold conditions.
- Must be able to stand on feet and walk throughout the day, sometimes on uneven surfaces.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs. & occasionally lift, carry, push & pull up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to perform simple grasping, fine manipulation, reaching and repetitive hand & arm movements; squeezing and overhead reaching occasionally.
- Must be able to twist and bend frequently, and squat occasionally.
- Education: High School Diploma or G.E.D. Equivalent
- Related Work Experience: 2 years as stewarding supervisor.
- Experience with hospitality and customer service required.